tomboy's cozy little space

a little piece of me, and the devil within. ps: check archives for stuff, no article is too old to read :)

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

athletic i am

Under the bright sun…I ran…below the azure sky… I ran… my black dusty reebok’s thudding on the harsh green ground… I ran… my maroon shorts and my beige tee defying the air resistance… I ran… my breath getting shorter… the finish line is there… my palms sweaty… the finish line approaches… I cross the line…
I came third in my 90 meters sprint grrrrrrrrrrrrrr…
you will receive your bronze medal shortly…
thank you sir

On the red ground I stand… looking down my next track… a pit of sand lies ahead… 2 helpers with rakes… 3 teachers with measuring tapes and marking sticks… I stride… measure my pace...sprint…large steps…my foot touches the white line and I fling myself into the air… my feet are pulled my gravity down onto the sand pit… my collision with the sand not significant… blah blah meters the teacher who marked my landing calls unto the other…
I sit in my teams’ tent waiting… my name is called to receive a medal… I jog to the presentation area… get my second medal for the day…
I came third in long jump…. Boohoo

Back to green ground…heartbeats racing my hands on the big rough rope… gripping and ungripping briskly as we all lined up in a row…Mr Abraham standing in the centre… “ready??” he calls… both teams reply… I shriek “pull” the others too… we pull as we stride back… we pull the other team… we scream as we pull…
Yes people…
We managed to kick a bit of ass…
We got second place in tug’o’war …

Last race of the day… anxious teams in their tents… we stand in our places… our breath is scarce… I look at the track… my last 100 metres… the batons are distributed… I stand on my post… a girl runs towards me…shiny red baton in hand… she is second… I stand there… adrenalin pumping… she comes closer I grab the baton…
And I SPRINT MY ASS OFF TO FIRST PLACE!!!
Pass baton to the blondie who comes after me… she runs to the next runner…. And we got fuckin first place!!!!
Four gold medals are handed out to four proud girls who did a grand finale.


Man… whatever they say…I love sports day …

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home